following a request from the faraway land of canada, i have put together a tutorial (that makes me sound like i know what i'm doing) on how to make a peter pan collar. you can add it to a dress or a shirt, easy as. just to show how to do it, i tacked it onto the peach dress i made a little while ago.
go for it:
1. trace the neckline of your dress.
2. on half of the trace, sketch the outline of half of your collar. you can make it any shape you want- just remember a seam allowance (at least a centimetre)
3. cut four.
4. on the other side of your neckline trace, cut a band about 4cm wide. this will be your facing.
5. stitch the halves of the collar together, right sides in. notch the fabric along the curve, then turn and press.
6. pin, right sides out, both sides of the collar onto the neckline of the dress/shirt. baste. (make sure the two sides of the collar meet at the centre front- find this by folding your dress in half with side seams together)
7. place facing on top of the collar, right sides in, and stitch. you need to pin it on upside down- it will look kind of like a frowny mouth on top of the smiley collar (if that makes no sense, disregard, and just make sure the length of the facing matches up with the length of the neckline. if not, flip the facing over. you'll see the frowny mouth.)
8. turn facing in. it won't like this- notch the facing as much as you need to until it sits properly. press.
9. fold under edges of facing so they trap all the loose ends, and hand stitch it down underneath the collar.
10. go out, wear it, receive compliments, etc.